The Chapel Retreat Venue
A unique and stunning conversion of a Chapel (1836) & Sunday School (1883), through which the Michael ley line flows on its way from Glastonbury Tor to the nearby historic site of Burrow Mump.
Situated in Othery, originally an island in the Great Lake of Avalon, the Chapel is an exceptional retreat venue owned by Annabel Du Boulay, an international spiritual teacher and author. As such, it is the perfect venue for large family and friends gatherings, and especially for workshop-retreat groups of up to 12 guests.
Chapel Retreat near Glastonbury
The Ground Floor
This is a vast, open-plan space consisting of the Kitchen-Dining Room catering for 12 guests, with a 2-seater sofa area (in what was the Sunday School), as well as the Chapel in its entirety, which is divided into separate areas including:
- The Sitting area with a large corner sofa & 3 armchairs around a coffee table
- The Altar area with main altar and 2 side altars
- The Music area with a digital baby-grand piano & djembe drum
- The Fireplace area with use of the open log fire and up to 12 floor chairs
- The TV area with a second large corner sofa & armchair situated opposite a Neville Johnson designed wall unit housing a 46″ HD flatscreen TV
On the Ground Floor, you will also find:
- Bedroom 5 with 3 Single beds (2 of which can be zip locked together to create a Super King bed) and a designated workspace with desk, printer and ethernet connection
- Large Shower Room with tumble dryer
- Utility Room with washing machine
The First Floor
- Bedroom 1 – the Master Bedroom, situated in the original Choir Loft with a vaulted wooden ceiling and breathtaking view down into the Chapel. This room features a Super King bed with the option to have an additional adult guest bed to use as a Twin Room. There is also a 4-seater sofa with coffee table, and an open-plan Ensuite Bathroom with a freestanding bath and hand-held shower.
- Bedroom 2 with 2 Single beds which can be zip locked together to create a Super King bed. This room also contains a Stott Pilates Reformer Machine for those of you who are trained to use one (children should not be allowed to climb on it, so young children should not use this room unsupervised).
- Bedroom 3 with 2 Single beds, which can be zip locked together to create a Super King, with the option to have an additional adult guest bed to use as a Triple
- Bedroom 4 with 2 Single beds, which can be zip locked together to create a Super King
- First Floor Bathroom with separate freestanding bath and shower cubicle
Garden & Parking
There is a private walled garden with a patio and outside dining area, and private driveway parking for 2 cars as well as free on-street parking in the village.
The Chapel is perfect for large groups of 12 guests, catering both for family and friends groups who may prefer a combination of Super King and Single beds, as well as workshop-retreat groups who may require Single beds for all 12 guests.
Not only does the open-plan communal space create the ideal environment for large group gatherings, but everyone who comes to the Chapel always comments on how peaceful and healing they find its energy.
For those of you who are interested in booking the Chapel in order to facilitate a workshop or retreat, we provide 12 floor chairs for group work, a flip-chart and professional massage table for 1:1 treatments.
We can also provide a list of recommended caterers, holistic practitioners, sacred musicians and pilgrimage guides, including Annabel, to ensure your workshop-retreat is a powerful and authentic experience for your guests.
Annabel is as an experienced workshop facilitator, spiritual teacher, transpersonal therapist and pilgrimage guide, with expert knowledge of the sacred sites and mythos of Glastonbury-Avalon and the Summerlands, which she has been visiting since 1991 and living in since 2009.
Early check-in and late check-out are available where possible at an additional cost of £30 per hour, payable in advance.
The Chapel Prepared for a Retreat Group
Allow me to guide you on a powerfully transpersonal pilgrimage to the Holy Isle of Avalon, Glastonbury and the Summerlands, diving deeply into the mythos and energies of these sacred lands and The Avalon Rose Lineage, with my close friends and expert guest facilitators Nalini Blossom, Laura Daligan, Sophie Pullinger, Lydia Lyte and Oliver William Huntley.
Regarding accessibility, there is level and lit access from the gravelled private parking area along a short concrete path to the back double doors, which can both be opened to create a wide entrance.
There are 2 steps down into the Kitchen, then 1 step from the Kitchen down into the Dining Room.
From that point onwards, the whole of the downstairs, including Bedroom 5 and the Shower Room, are level access.
The Shower Room has a shower cubicle with a 20cm high step into it.
Othery is a small village situated on the Somerset Levels, close to the historic site of Burrow Mump, 10 miles from both Glastonbury and Taunton, with its direct train links to Bristol & London, and only 22 miles from Bristol Airport.
It’s the perfect location for day trips to the cities of Wells (12 miles), Bristol (28 miles) & Bath (30 miles), as well as a range of beautiful beaches and seaside resorts such as Burnham-on-Sea (12 miles) and Lyme Regis (25 miles).
With countryside walks from your doorstep, the popular and renowned George Inn and Elements Boutique Spa are also only a mile away in Middlezoy.
Othery is situated just 10 miles from M5 Junction 23 if you’re driving Southbound towards the sacred sites of Cornwall, 10 miles from M5 Junction 25 if you’re driving Northbound towards Bristol and Wales, and 13 miles from A303 Podimore Junction.